Backing vocal tracking

For todays session we focused on tracking all of the backing vocals for the project. This was also the last recording session of the project before the moving onto the mix prep and mix stage.

Due to the availability of the multi track studio and a fault in studio 3, I was unable to get into either studio for this session which posed as a potential problem. However, I was fortunate enough to know someone how owned a small studio called UPR Records a few miles from where I live where I could record these last parts. I told the owner about the project I was working on and he agreed to let me use the studio for a few hours.

Working in UPR allowed me access to some different hardware as well as some different microphones. The studio was equipped with a Behringer X32 digital mixing desk which allowed the use of numerous forms of processing before sending the audio into Pro Tools. The studio also had a Rode condenser mic which I found to be a little thinner sounding compared to the AGK C414 i’ve previously been using.

In terms on processing, I applied a lot of similar techniques I used back in my lead vocal tracking session. I used the built in HPF to remove everything below about 60hz and the built in compressor to reduce the dynamic ever so slightly. It’s important to note that i didn’t go too excessive with the EQ and compression here mainly because I wasn’t use to the room, the sound of the hardware I was using and the monitors I was listening through. Being subtle with the processing also meant that I could take it home and process it further on speakers that i’m more comfortable with.