Bass Editing

Now that i’ve recorded all of the bass parts, I wanted to make sure that they were edited and comped before moving onto the guitar tracking process. I’m also doing this to maintain an effective workflow and to save a lot of effort when it comes to the mix stage.

I began by sorting through all of the takes we had recorded and then cross fading them into one another to avoid any unnecessary pops. I then removed all of the unwanted parts (parts where dave wasn’t playing and you could just hear the hum of the amp etc) and consolidated them all into one piece of audio per track. I then went through all of the bass tracks and altered the phase alignment as I was noticing a bit of cancelation with the bass amp track compared to the DI track. Once I had done this, by removing all of the cancelation it meant that I could clearly hear the sound of each track more accurately. These are similar steps that Chris Lord-Alge recommends on his latest Waves webinar.

With the bass edited, comped, consolidated and phase aligned, it now means that we are ready to begin the first session of guitar tracking.

Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 14.03.54

Mixing Masterclass With Chris Lord-Alge https://www.waves.com/mixing-masterclass-chris-lord-alge