Tutorial – Week 5

Now that my aims, objectives and learning outcomes are all signed off, the main topic of discussion for the tutorial was my first recording session for this project and the research that I needed to include in my blog.

When discussing my drum recording session, I told Ben how I’d incorporated the use of some outboard compression and EQ from the desk into my recordings. We also discussed how successful the session was overall as well as some of the things that didn’t quite go to plan. (e.g there was a lot of bleed coming from the live room into the control room which prevented me from utilising as much hardware as I’d liked). Ben also suggested that it’d be a good idea to include some of my previous tracks so I can benchmark my previous drum sounds against these ones.

We then discussed in depth the research I needed to include in my blog. From the Spotify playlist I had made, we looked at some of the reference material for this project and looked at Jacquire King who had produced James Bays debut album. We found a lot of great stuff which covered my learning outcomes and the articles we found also had links to many more. Ben also introduced me to a website called allmusic.com which is a great resource for looking at other producers work as it shows all of the albums they’ve been credited on.

We also looked more in depth at creating a production plan as well as looking at other research resources such as Pensados place and Recording Revolution.